In the morning, I wake up early and meet with Ha Anh either at the laboratory (which implies that I take the city bus...) or at her house. Before I continue, I think Hanoi's city bus needs a special mention.
When I take the bus (xe buyt - pronouce se bouït-) I have to walk about ten minutes to the bus stop. Do I need to look for the time that the bus will pass? No need! All you need is faith and the bus will come! Usually if there is no traffic jam, the bus is scheduled for every 15 minutes or so. Now to get on the bus. You have to be quick. I usually have to enter the bus by the side doors the ones further away from the driver, trying to squeeze my way in, wrestling with people that are rushing out... all this while the bus is still moving! Once I got in, the employee now showing a smirk on his face, while others stare at me, ask for my money and give me a ticket in exchange. Next step, looking for my bus stop, I must be attentive... street with the small vendor on the corner, street with the big rock on which we turn and street with the fireworks in the middle... I'm getting closer. Ring the bell, I pile up with the other vietnamese at the doors and at my turn rush my way out! OUF! I've made it, once more!
I walked to the laboratory, another 10 minutes, salute my fan club (a couple of security men at the entrance of the hospital near the lab). I don't know why but they are always so happy to see me in the morning!?
I arrive at the lab and Ha Anh is waiting for me. "What's up with you?" she asks. "Not much, I just survive to another city bus trip" I reply. We chat a little and I get the cooler boxes while she calls a taxi. To collect sample is a strenuous task and requires our full attention because there is a lot of information to record on the sheets. It usually takes all morning...
Got 12 samples of the day and all the information that we wanted. Exhausted, fighting the heat that makes us sleepy, we ask the taxi driver to bring us back to the lab. "Return to the lab!!" and everytime I say it out loud, it reminds me of this TV show with Batman from the 60's or 70's where Adam West exclaimed "Return to the Batcave" with the little noisy music. Ha! Ha!
11:30 am: Just enough time to store our precious sample in our new fridge and grab a bite!! The best time of the day, the ray of sunshine on our hard work, the little break of the day... This small restaurant really looks like nothing but the food is delicious and on top of that cheap!! (we are talking about a 1$ or a 1,50$). We go there everyday, so now the cook and his family know us. Ha Anh step one foot in the kitchen where she spies at the the special of the day... sometimes we have bambou soup, boiled fish, piglet (not my favourite), nem (fried spring rolls), shrimps, pineapple and we decide from there what we want. Whatever you choose, he will prepare it at the moment you order and serves it hot and well done (very important for food safety!!!). Guess in what he is preparing his food.... a WOK!!!
Actually, I realize that I am eating rice everyday for lunch... it is always accompanied by different plates so it is always different. The rice is only a side dish along with the soup. I'm eating with chopstick! I think I'm pretty good now...
I started to make jokes to Ha Anh on the Monday how I missed his food on the weekend. Ha Anh translated without me knowing and the young cook knew that I really like his food. Even Ha Anh thinks he cooks better than her, and she is in food technology!
Thanks to God or Bouddha if you prefer, that we found this little restaurant. At least that makes me want to go to work everyday...
It has been harsh for us lately... finishing late, lots of work and problem for sending our petri dish with salmonella and e.coli to Canada. So this restaurant, his cook and the food is important, since it is cheering me up after exhausting morning.
Number of samples left: 112 on 250 (we reduce the number of total number to collect to 250... it is more reasonable).
See you soon!
Kat.
No comments:
Post a Comment